A list of recreational activities within the City:
- Ballpark – If there is no game or practice underway, round up your family and friends and have a game.
- Basketball – Both indoor and outdoor courts on the west side of the public school. There’s another outdoor court on West Second Street.
- Bocce Ball Courts – Two bocce ball are located across from the American Legion.
- Camping – Is available at the John Kurz Memorial Park (Lion’s Park) along the highway and at the more secluded Island Park located two blocks east of the highway. Contact the City Office for availability 218-437-6621.
- Children’s Playground – A new playground in 2009 located at the public school site off of Second Street
- Exercise at KJ’s Fitness – Stay in shape year round. There are a number of exercise machines available for the fitness conscious. Tanning beds are also available.
- Fishing – Is excellent at Island Park and other locations in the area. Carp, bullheads, catfish, and pike are the catches. No live bait is available for purchase.
- Argyle Historical Society’s Depot Museum – Open Meet Your Neighbor Day and by appointment. Call 218-437-8580 or 437-6347.
- Horseshoe Pits – Located at the Island Park and John Kurz Memorial Park (Lion’s Park). Bring your own horseshoes.
- Hunting – Public access is available east of Argyle. Deer, grouse, moose, and waterfowl are some of the game prevalent in this area.
- Ice Skating/Hockey – Rink on West First Street
- Picnic – In one of the two city parks located along the river east of Hwy. 75.
- Skiing – Cross country skiing is available along the dike and river areas, and at the Old Mill State Park.
- Snowmobiling – There is a lot of snowmobile activity in this area although the official maps show only one groomed trail through Argyle. This groomed trail links with many other snowmobile trails in the area.
- Swimming – Two pools with showers and lifeguards are available within ten to fifteen minutes
- Tennis – One Court on West Second Street
Recreational opportunities within a short driving distance:
- Old Mill State Park – offers a variety of activities including hiking, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, down hill sledding, nature walks, birding, and swimming. Old Mill State Park is located 13 miles east of Argyle on the Middle River.
- Florian Park – is a county owned recreation park on the Tamarac River about 17 miles northeast of Argyle, which offers a variety of recreational opportunities including camping, fishing, and swimming.
- Golf courses (2) – are available for those waiting to enjoy the greens. The Riverside course is located in Stephen ten miles to the north and the Warren course is ten miles to the south. Both communities also have chlorinated swimming pools.
Community Organizations & Events:
Santa Claus Day
Meet Your Neighbor Day
Legion & Auxiliary
Christmas Lighting Contest
Summer Recreation Program
Argyle Area Community Foundation
Argyle Volunteer Fire Department
Bone Builders Exercise Class
Senior Citizen Club
Argyle Historical Society
Relay for Life
Babe Ruth Baseball
Cal Ripken Baseball
Argyle Red Hat Society
Early Childhood Intiative
MEET YOUR NEIGHBOR DAY is held the last Saturday in June each summer. Breakfast, Storm Tacos, Beer Garden, Class Reunions, Parade, & Dances are only some of the events that happen each summer. A great time to come “HOME” and enjoy visiting with old friends.